For thousands of years, people have formed friendships and have treasured them as an essential joy of life. It takes time and effort and sometimes compromise to form and maintain friendships. But the result is well worth it.
As a member of Champions Cove independent senior living in Duncanville, you are fortunate to live in a community where there are many residents in your age range and many with similar values and interests.
Benefits of friendship:
- ?Stress reduction and increase in happiness.
- ?Improved self-confidence and self-worth.
- ?Increased physical activity, and decrease in high blood pressure.
- ?Better self-care.
- ?Ability to cope with stressful situations like illness, job loss or divorce. READ: Health Benefits of Socializing
How many friends should you have?
Always choose quality over quantity. It’s good to be on friendly terms with everyone in your community, but as you find yourself gravitating to a special few, nurture those relationships.
How can you meet new friends?
Old friendships should always hold a special place in your heart, but also seek out new friends. Meet new neighbors by inviting them over for a cup of tea, or organize a brunch to introduce them to the neighborhood. Other ways to make friends are:
- ?Reach out to people you meet in the community who have a personality and sense of humor you enjoy.
- ?Think back to people you’ve been friends with in the past but have lost touch over the years. If you have a social media account, try putting their name in the search box – you will be surprised at how many of your acquaintances are online.
- ?Volunteer with an organization you feel strongly about, such as pet rescue.
- ?Join a church or temple.
How to be a good friend
- ?Be thoughtful, positive and kind. Be the kind of friend you would like to have. Don’t be harsh or critical, but rather encouraging and supportive.
- ?Be helpful and reliable. Does your friend need a ride to the doctor’s office? Or company while sick in bed? Offer to help, and bring a nice treat to sweeten the visit.
- ?Be a good listener. Don’t interrupt while your friend is opening up about areas of concern (or joy). Let your eye contact and comments show that you are paying attention. Don’t offer advice unless your friend asks for it. Make sure you keep confidential information private.
- ?Be dependable and punctual. If you make a commitment, honor it. Arrive on time, or call ahead if unexpectedly delayed.
- ?Remember birthdays, anniversaries and special occasions – and send cards, flowers or small gifts when possible.
We’re no strangers to seeing amazing friendships formed inside Champions Cove. Walk into our community and you’re likely to see best pals strolling through the grounds, chatting over meals, playing games and taking classes.